Third Grade Essential Reading Skills
By the end of 3rd grade, with at least 80% accuracy,
all students will…
1. Ask and answer questions by looking back in the text and site
2. Summarize the main idea.
3. Use supporting details in fiction and non-fiction.
4. Describe a character’s feelings and actions throughout the text.
5. Determine the meaning of words and phrases.
6. Read and understand stories, plays, and poetry.
7. Explain cause and effect through sequencing.
8. Identify personal point of view and the author’s point of view.