Instructions for Free or Reduced Applications

2020-2021 Free or Reduced Application-English

2020-2021 Free or Reduced Application-Spanish

Minnesota Health Care Programs

Minnesota Health Care Program in Spanish

Application for Educational Benefits - Free or Reduced Priced School Meals
Applications for Free or Reduced Priced School Meals are available at your School Office or the Food and Nutrition Office located at:

615 South Ave. SW
Eyota, MN 55934

FREE OR REDUCED MEALS Free and Reduced-Priced School Meals
Questions & Answers

1. Who can get free or reduced price meals? Children in households participating in Food Stamps, Minnesota Family Investment Plan (MFIP), or Food Distribution Program on Indian Reservations (FDPIR) and most foster children can get free meals regardless of your income. Also, your children can get free or reduced-price meals if your household income is within the income shown for your household size on the chart on the previous page. An Application for Educational Benefits cannot be approved if any required information is missing.

2. I get WIC. Can my children get free meals? Children in households participating in WIC may be eligible for free or reduced price meals. Please fill out an Application for Educational Benefits.

3. Should I fill out an application if I got a letter this school year saying my children were directly certified for free meals based on data from the MN Department of Human Services? Do not fill out an Application for Educational Benefits if all of your children have been directly certified for free school meals. If only some of your children were directly certified, you can fill out an Application for Educational Benefits to apply for your children who were not directly certified.

4. Will the information I give be checked? Yes, as in the past Dover Eyota is required to verify a percentage of total 2008-2009 Applications for Educational Benefits. We may ask you to send written proof.
NEW THIS YEAR, Dover Eyota is required to verify all approved 2008-2009 Applications for Educational Benefits that are received from households that failed to respond to verification requests in the 2007-2008 school year.

5. If I don’t qualify now, may I apply later? Yes. You may apply at any time during the school year if your income goes down, household size goes up, or if you start getting Food Stamps, MFIP, or FDPIR benefits.

6. What if I disagree with the school’s decision about my application? You should talk to school officials. You also may ask for a hearing.

7. May I apply if someone in my household is not a U.S. citizen? Yes. You or your children do not have to be U.S. citizens for your children to qualify for free or reduced price meals.

8. Who should I include as members of my household? You must include yourself and all other people living in the household, related or not (such as grandparents, other relatives, or friends). Include a household member who is temporarily away such as a college student.

9. What if my income is not always the same? List the amount that you normally get. For example, if you normally get $1000 each month, but you missed some work last month and only got $900, put down that you get $1000 per month. If you normally get overtime, include it, but not if you get it only sometimes.

10. How will the information I provide be kept? Information you provide about your household income or public assistance will be protected as private data. Your child’s approval for free or reduced-price meals is also private data. The back page of the Application for Educational Benefits has details about data privacy.

11. Do I need to notify school officials if my income increases or my household size decreases after I have qualified for free or reduced price meals? No. Approval for free or reduced price meals is good for the school year.

12. Do I need to include income from Economic Stimulus rebates? No. Your 2008 Economic Stimulus rebate is considered a one-time, lump-sum payment, i.e., they are to be excluded from income when determining eligibility.

Non-discrimination Statement: This explains what to do if you believe you have been treated unfairly. In accordance with federal law and U.S. Department of Agriculture policy, this school is prohibited from discrimination on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, age, or disability. To file a complaint of discrimination, write USDA, Director, Office of Civil Rights, 1400 Independence Avenue SW, Washington, D.C. 20250-9410 or call 1-800-795-3272 or 202-720-6382 (TTY). USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.

USDA is an equal opportunity provider and employer.